Tuesday, May 5, 2020

MILKY WAY STRUCTURE IN CARINA Taken by Marco Nero on March 22, 2020 @ Sydney Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia





My last shot before the Quarantine Lockdown rules were introduced in Sydney, Australia. Taken off the side of the road near Mount Wilson in the Sydney Blue Mountains (which is close to Mt Tomah). I was curious to test a NiSi 'Natural Night Filter' on the relatively new Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens on the Canon M6 mirrorless (APS-C) camera. The exposure setting used were: ISO 2500 at 10 seconds with f/1.8. This is a mosaic of 8 images that were automatically merged in Photoshop to create a fairly wide view... so the angle of perspective may be skewed. Whilst the human eye can't make out much color at all, the Milky Way was surprisingly bright overhead. The massive Carina nebula is easy to make out but I've added a breakdown of the subject matter in a second image with text. A White Balance of 3500 was used to counter the hue from the filter. It's a humbling experience to be outside under the night sky when it's clear like this. I need to get an EQ tracking mount to be able to follow the stars for longer exposures. I've added two images of the setup - which is quite small. I used a stepping ring to enable me to fit the 77mm wide NiSi filter onto the smaller 43mm thread on the lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment